What Is MMA In The Acrylic Liquid Monomer?
Methyl methacrylate or MMA is a connecting agent widely used in artificial nails products. It is included in cosmetic nails preparations utilized in nail and beauty salons All over the world.
MMA puts considerably quicker and adheres really tightly to the fingernail more so than other products, and is much cheaper in comparison with other products. But the use of MMA has been associated with unfavorable health effects.
How do you realize whether a Product Involves MMA?
- MMA is listed as an established ingredient on the bottle .
- The actual product carries a strong frustrating chemical smell that does not smell like other acrylic liquid monomers.
- The product sets much harder, feels less flexible and is extremely difficult to file.
- The nail extensions are particularly hard or nearly impossible to get rid of by way of usual solvents constructed to remove acrylic nails.
- The product might be less expensive in comparison to other acrylic nail alternatives.
As a consumer you own the right to request and issue the nail technician to what product they are applying.
Alternatives for MMA
There are a number of substitutions for MMA which include ethyl methacrylate (EMA) and organic nail manicures.
MMA Polymers Powders
In the producing process, all polymers powders begin as monomers. Typically two types (or much more based on the manufacturer) of monomers are normally applied to make polymers; one of which is MMA.
These monomers are mixed together with initiators, dispersing agents, causes, and water to make a polymer. This blend is combined and continuously stirred when it is heated to extremely high temperatures. After several hours, the monomers become solid little beads and float on the top of the water. The beads are strained from the water and washed repeatedly. They are after that dried out, and sifted to take away the largest and smallest particles.
As soon as the substances are mixed and heated, and the monomers have turn into solid; the MMA is no longer active. As a matter of fact, this new solid has a absolutely distinct name: PMMA (poly methyl methacrylate) and is regarded as perfectly secure to use on natural nails.
So when you see PMMA on the ingredient listing of your nail acrylic polymers powders, you may now say you know it is flawlessly safe to work with. The MMA had to experience really a journey to be perfectly harmless for use on nails!